Beetroot and smoked bacon relish
- August 2014
- 150g free-range British smoked streaky bacon
- Vegetable oil for frying
- 100g brown sugar
- 100ml wine vinegar
- 50ml cider vinegar
- 4 tsp yellow mustard seeds
- 8 medium beetroot, peeled and coarsely grated
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- Chop the bacon, then fry in a pan with a little vegetable oil until golden. Remove with a slotted spoon.
- Put the brown sugar, red wine vinegar, cider vinegar and yellow mustard seeds in the pan, then heat gently until the sugar has dissolved.
- Add the grated beetroot and chopped onion, then cook gently for 15 minutes or until the liquid has almost evaporated.
- Stir through the bacon, then serve with the pork belly.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Subscribe to our magazine
Food lovers, treat yourself this Christmas... Enjoy 12 months of magazines for £29.99 – just £2.50 an issue.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter