Beetroot and smoked bacon relish
- August 2014
- Serves 4-6
- 30 minutes
Leigh Norton’s beetroot and smoked bacon relish goes perfectly with his slow-cooked pork belly. Combine both to wow your guests with this mouthwateringly tasty dish.
- Dairy-free recipes
- 150g free-range British smoked streaky bacon
- Vegetable oil for frying
- 100g brown sugar
- 100ml wine vinegar
- 50ml cider vinegar
- 4 tsp yellow mustard seeds
- 8 medium beetroot, peeled and coarsely grated
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- Chop the bacon, then fry in a pan with a little vegetable oil until golden. Remove with a slotted spoon.
- Put the brown sugar, red wine vinegar, cider vinegar and yellow mustard seeds in the pan, then heat gently until the sugar has dissolved.
- Add the grated beetroot and chopped onion, then cook gently for 15 minutes or until the liquid has almost evaporated.
- Stir through the bacon, then serve with the pork belly.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
A trio of relish recipes
Try one of these three relish recipes – a pickled cucumber salad, pickled red onion...