Sweetcorn and chilli relish
- September 2006
- 4 sweetcorn cobs
- 1 onion, sliced as finely as possible
- 2 fresh red chillies, deseeded and chopped (optional)
- 1/2 tsp coriander seeds, crushed
- Finely grated zest and juice of 1 lime
- 200g caster sugar
- 400ml rice vinegar or white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp cornflour
- Shuck the kernels off the cobs (this is most easily done by standing each cob upright in a large bowl and running a knife down it, mowing the corn as you go). Cook the corn in plenty of boiling, salted water for about 2 minutes and drain well.
- In a saucepan, mix the onion, chillies, if using, coriander seeds, lime zest and juice, sugar, vinegar and salt. Bring to the boil and simmer hard for about 5 minutes. Reduce the heat, add the sweetcorn and simmer gently for 20 minutes.
- Mix the cornflour with 4 tablespoons water to make a paste. Add this to the sweetcorn mixture and bring the heat back up to a simmer for about 5 minutes or until the sauce has thickened. Transfer to a sterilised jar and cool. You can either eat it immediately or keep in a cool place for up to 3 months.
Try with grilled chicken or salmon for a really pleasant surprise.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Smoky sweetcorn fritters with tarragon yogurt
Smoky sweetcorn fritters are vegetarian food done right – served warm from the pan with...