Sweetcorn and chilli relish
- September 2006
- 4 sweetcorn cobs
- 1 onion, sliced as finely as possible
- 2 fresh red chillies, deseeded and chopped (optional)
- 1/2 tsp coriander seeds, crushed
- Finely grated zest and juice of 1 lime
- 200g caster sugar
- 400ml rice vinegar or white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp cornflour
- Shuck the kernels off the cobs (this is most easily done by standing each cob upright in a large bowl and running a knife down it, mowing the corn as you go). Cook the corn in plenty of boiling, salted water for about 2 minutes and drain well.
- In a saucepan, mix the onion, chillies, if using, coriander seeds, lime zest and juice, sugar, vinegar and salt. Bring to the boil and simmer hard for about 5 minutes. Reduce the heat, add the sweetcorn and simmer gently for 20 minutes.
- Mix the cornflour with 4 tablespoons water to make a paste. Add this to the sweetcorn mixture and bring the heat back up to a simmer for about 5 minutes or until the sauce has thickened. Transfer to a sterilised jar and cool. You can either eat it immediately or keep in a cool place for up to 3 months.
Try with grilled chicken or salmon for a really pleasant surprise.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Smoky sweetcorn fritters with tarragon yogurt
Smoky sweetcorn fritters are vegetarian food done right – served warm from the pan with...
More food for thought...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...