Buffalo chicken wings with blue cheese slaw
- July 2019
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 25 min, oven time 40-50 min
Sticky, spicy buffalo chicken wings served with a crunchy, fresh coleslaw are what Friday nights are made of.
Try our brown sugar and chilli chicken wings for more Friday night inspiration…
- 37.6g (10.2g saturated)
- 14.5g (13.6g sugars)
- 1kg free-range chicken wings
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 3 tbsp sriracha chilli sauce
- 2 tbsp runny honey
For the slaw
- 75g blue cheese (we used stilton)
- 100ml natural yogurt
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 2 celery sticks, very finely sliced diagonally, leaves reserved
- ½ medium celeriac, peeled and cut into fine matchsticks (about 300g)
- 2 carrots, shredded with a julienne peeler (see tip)
- Juice ½ lemon
- Heat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas 6. Toss the wings in a bowl with 2 tbsp of the oil, the garlic powder and some salt and pepper. Put on a baking tray and roast for 40-50 minutes.
- Whisk the sriracha with the honey and the rest of the oil in a small pan. Set over a medium heat and bubble for 2-3 minutes until thickened.
- Crumble the cheese into a large bowl, stir in a spoonful of yogurt and the garlic to combine, then stir in the rest of the yogurt to make a sauce. To finish the slaw, mix the celery, celeriac and carrots into the sauce, then taste and adjust the seasoning with lemon juice, salt and pepper. Sprinkle the reserved celery leaves on top.
- Heat the grill to high. Pour the reduced sauce over the wings and toss to coat, then grill for 3-4 minutes, turning halfway through, until sticky and caramelised. Serve with the slaw.
If you don’t have a julienne peeler, shred with a Y-peeler then cut into fine matchsticks.
The honey in this dish points to a wine with a bit of sweetness. Chill an off-dry riesling or medium (demi-sec) vouvray
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
More food for thought...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...