Fluffy American pancakes with bacon and avocado
- February 2015
- Serves 4-6
- Hands-on time 30 min, oven time 20 min
This proper American pancake recipe creates the lightest, fluffiest pancakes. Serve a stack for a decadent brunch or whip up a batch for Shrove Tuesday.
- 43.6g (13.3g saturated)
- 24.4g carbs (6.1g sugars)
For 6 servings
For the pancakes
- 150g self-raising flour
- ½ tsp cream of tartar
- 1 tbsp caster sugar
- 2 large free-range eggs, separated
- 284ml carton buttermilk
- 12-16 British free-range smoked streaky bacon rashers
- Knob of butter for frying
- 2 avocados, sliced and tossed in a little lime juice
- 200g feta, crumbled
For the coriander-chilli oil
- 1 red chilli, finely chopped
- Bunch fresh coriander, leaves roughly chopped, stalks finely chopped
- 100ml extra-virgin olive oil
- Juice 1 lime
- To make the pancakes, mix the flour, cream of tartar and sugar in a bowl with a large pinch of salt. Make a well in the centre, then drop in the egg yolks and mix. Slowly pour in the buttermilk, stirring constantly, until you have a smooth, thick batter.
- Heat the oven to 200°C/fan180°C/gas 6. Put the bacon on a foil-lined baking sheet and cook, turnin once, for 15-20 minutes until crisp. Turn the oven right down once it’s cooked to keep it warm.
- Meanwhile, make the oil: put the chilli, coriander and extra-virgin olive oil in a food processor and whizz until you have a bright green, red flecked mixture. Season and add the lime juice. If it’s too thick to drizzle, add a couple of tablespoons of water. Set aside (see Make Ahead).
- When the bacon is nearly cooked, whisk the egg whites to soft peaks in a mixing bowl. Gently fold into the batter, starting with a heaped tablespoonful, then continuing in thirds. The batter should be airy.
- Heat a large non-stick frying pan. Put a knob of butter on a piece of kitchen paper, then wipe over the pan. The butter should be incredibly thin in the pan – you don’t want any sizzling puddles. Drop heaped tablespoons of the batter into the pan, spreading them out slightly with a spatula. Cook over a medium
- heat for 1-2 minutes, lift up the bottoms to check they’re golden, then flip them and cook on the other side for 2 minutes. Put on a plate and keep warm in the oven while you use up the batter. You should have around 12 small pancakes in total.
- Stack the pancakes on serving plates, then top with the bacon, avocado and feta. Spoon over a little of the coriander-chilli oil, then serve with the rest of it on the side.
You can make the coriander-chilli oil up to a day ahead (minus the water) and keep it chilled (it might lose a little of its vibrancy, but it will still taste great).
Rate & review