Cannellini beans and rosemary on bruschetta
- November 2006
- Serves 4
- Takes 50 minutes to make, plus soaking and cooking the beans
This easy vegetarian bruschetta recipe with tomato and rosemary is great on sourdough bread.
- 12.7g (1.9g saturated)
- 31.6g (2.6g sugars)
- 3 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
- 2 fresh rosemary sprigs, leaves picked and roughly chopped
- 100g dried cannellini beans, soaked and cooked until very tender (see tips for method)
- 2 tbsp chopped SunBlush tomatoes
- 4 slices day-old bread from a Pugliese or sourdough loaf
- 1 garlic clove, halved
- Heat the oil in a frying pan over a low heat. Add the rosemary leaves and cook for a few seconds, until it starts to sizzle. Drain the cooked beans, reserving their liquor, then add to the pan. Cook for about 20 minutes, stirring and adding some of the cooking liquor to stop the beans drying out, until they begin to break down. Mash with a fork to a rough purée or blitz in a food processor for a smoother houmous-like consistency. Season to taste with salt and pepper and fold in the chopped tomatoes.
- Grill the bread slices in a griddle pan (or toast them). Rub the warm bread with the garlic halves and drizzle generously with some olive oil. Sprinkle lightly with sea salt, top with the bean mixture and lightly drizzle again with oil. Serve topped with slices of Parma ham, if you like.
To cook the beans: Soak in plenty of water for at least a couple of hours, preferably overnight. Drain thoroughly and rinse, then transfer to a saucepan and add cold unsalted water to cover the beans by a few centimetres. Bring to the boil and cook rapidly for 15 minutes, removing any scum. Reduce the heat and simmer until tender. Keep the cooked beans in their stock, unseasoned, until you wish to use them.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
White bean and rosemary bruschetta
There are times when you need a comforting snack, and this Italian one ticks the...
More food for thought...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...