Smoky puréed butter beans on toast with cured ham
- August 2014
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 20 minutes
Virtually no cooking is needed (except toasting) in this midweek meal recipe. So sit back, relax and take it easy.
- 32.6g (5.3g saturated)
- 61.2g (4g sugars)
- 3 x 400g tins butter beans
- 2 fresh rosemary sprigs
- 150ml olive oil
- 2 tbsp freshly boiled water
- ½ tsp Spanish sweet smoked paprika (pimentón dulce), plus extra to serve
- 8 sourdough bread slices
- 1-2 large garlic cloves
- 8 slices serrano or other cured Spanish ham
- Extra-virgin olive oil to drizzle
- Drain and rinse the butter beans, then tip them in a food processor bowl. Coarsely chop the rosemary, then add to the beans. Whizz to combine, then reduce the speed and drizzle in the olive oil until smooth. Add the hot water and whizz until silky. Stir in the smoked paprika, then taste and season with salt and pepper.
- Toast the bread. Peel the garlic cloves, cut a little off the ends, then rub the toast with the cut garlic. Top each toast with a generous spoonful of the butter bean mash and a slice of ham. Drizzle with the extra-virgin olive oil, then sprinkle with sea salt and extra smoked paprika to serve. This would be good served with a sharp, dressed green salad.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Summer salads and sides
Braised fennel and butter beans with gremolata oil and cheese crisps
A high-fibre, vegetarian recipe with strong aniseed flavours complimented by zesty, garlicky gremolata.
Recipes that will make you excited for autumn
Spicy butterbean, chickpea and butternut squash stew
Enjoy this vegetarian stew recipe, made with butternut squash, butterbeans and chickpeas, as a healthy...
Butter bean recipes
Pork steaks wrapped in Parma ham with butter bean salad
A tasty recipe for pork steaks wrapped in Parma ham makes a quick and easy...