Carrot, beetroot and fennel salad
- June 2016
- Serves 10
- Hands-on time 20 min
Crunchy slices of carrot, beetroot and fennel are dressed with a tangy orange and mustard dressing then scattered with fresh coriander to make this vibrant side salad.
- 6.5g (0.9g saturated)
- 13.9g (13.1g sugars)
- 4 carrots, pared (with a vegetable peeler) into ribbons
- 4 raw beetroot, thinly sliced
- 2 fennel bulbs, thinly sliced
- 3 large oranges, peeled and sliced into rings, juice reserved
- Large bunch each fresh basil and coriander, roughly chopped
For the dressing
- 1½ tbsp wholegrain mustard
- 3 tbsp fresh squeezed orange juice
- Handful fresh chives, snipped
- 1½ tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp caster sugar
- 80ml extra-virgin olive oil
- Put the salad ingredients in a large mixing bowl. In a medium jug, whisk the mustard, orange juice, chives, vinegar and sugar. Slowly whisk in the oil so the dressing thickens. Just before serving, stir the dressing into the salad and season.
Slice the veg for the salad up to 6 hours ahead but don’t dress until ready to serve. Keep under damp kitchen paper in the fridge (toss the fennel in lemon juice first). The dressing will keep for up to 1 week in a sealed container in the fridge.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Fennel, beetroot and orange salad with griddled prawns
This quick summer salad is plenty of good things at once: crunchy, citrusy, earthy and...