- From Unwins supplement in March 2017
- Serves 12
- Hands-on time 30 min, oven time 45 min
Not much beats a classic carrot cake recipe. This one is made with carrots, walnuts, cinnamon and a good grating of nutmeg. Top it with cream cheese icing and you’ve got an afternoon tea treat made in heaven.
- 39.9g (21.5g saturated)
- 65.1g (45.7g sugars)
- 225g unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 4 medium free-range eggs
- 175g soft light brown sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon and a good grating fresh nutmeg
- 300g self-raising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 300g carrots, grated
- 100g walnuts, chopped, plus extra to decorate
- 1-2 tbsp milk
For the icing
- 200g unsalted butter, softened
- 350g icing sugar
- Finely grated zest 1 lemon
- 150g full-fat cream cheese
- Heat the oven to 180°C/160°C fan/gas 4. Grease and line 2 x 20cm sandwich tins. Beat the butter, eggs and sugar until fluffy. Fold in the remaining cake ingredients with milk to loosen.
- Divide between the tins. Bake for 35-45 minutes until a skewer comes out clean. Cool in the tins briefly, then on a wire rack.
- For the icing, beat the butter and icing sugar with the zest, then beat in the cream cheese.
- Sandwich the cakes with half the icing, top with the remainder and decorate with walnuts.
Recipe from our special supplement in association with Unwins’ Bursting with Flavour range.
Watch the recipe video below…
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...