- From Unwins supplement in March 2017
- Serves 12
- Hands-on time 30 min, oven time 45 min
Nothing beats a classic carrot cake recipe made with carrots, walnuts, cinnamon and a good grating of nutmeg. Top it with cream cheese icing and you’ve got an afternoon tea treat made in heaven.
- 39.9g (21.5g saturated)
- 65.1g (45.7g sugars)
- 225g unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 4 medium free-range eggs
- 175g soft light brown sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon and a good grating fresh nutmeg
- 300g self-raising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 300g carrots, grated
- 100g walnuts, chopped, plus extra to decorate
- 1-2 tbsp milk
For the icing
- 200g unsalted butter, softened
- 350g icing sugar
- Finely grated zest 1 lemon
- 150g full-fat cream cheese
- Heat the oven to 180°C/160°C fan/gas 4. Grease and line 2 x 20cm sandwich tins. Beat the butter, eggs and sugar until fluffy. Fold in the remaining cake ingredients with milk to loosen.
- Divide between the tins. Bake for 35-45 minutes until a skewer comes out clean. Cool in the tins briefly, then on a wire rack.
- For the icing, beat the butter and icing sugar with the zest, then beat in the cream cheese.
- Sandwich the cakes with half the icing, top with the remainder and decorate with walnuts.
Recipe from our special supplement in association with Unwins’ Bursting with Flavour range.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Bundt cake recipes
Carrot bundt cake with honey and cream cheese icing
This gorgeous bundt cake adds a new dimension to the classic carrot cake: it’s perfect...
Carrot cake recipes
Eric Lanlard’s carrot and pumpkin celebration cake
Master pâtissier Eric Lanlard created this showstopping carrot cake for delicious. magazine’s 15th birthday. We...