Carrot fritters with spiced yogurt
- June 2018
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 30 min
Feed four for less than £4 with these healthy and budget-friendly carrot fritters. Drizzle over the spiced Greek yoghurt and enjoy for brunch or lunch – with extra feta cheese.
- Vegetarian recipes
- 26.4g (11g saturated)
- 22.5g (11.2g sugars)
- 50g plain flour
- 1½ tsp ground cumin
- 1½ tsp ground coriander
- 1 small bunch fresh coriander, chopped, a few leaves reserved
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 tbsp olive oil, plus extra for frying
- 3 medium free-range eggs, beaten
- 3 carrots, grated, excess water squeezed out
- 2 onions, sliced
- 150g feta, crumbled
For the spiced yogurt
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ½ tsp ground coriander
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- 1½ tsp ground turmeric
- ½ tsp paprika
- 200g greek yogurt
- In a mixing bowl, combine the flour, ground cumin, ground and fresh coriander, garlic, olive oil, eggs, carrots, onions and 75g of the feta. Season with salt and pepper, then stir well to coat the vegetables in the egg mixture.
- Heat a large non-stick frying pan with a generous glug of oil over a medium heat. Using your hands, shape 8-10 patties from the carrot mixture. Fry gently, in 2-3 batches, for 4-5 minutes on each side until golden brown and the vegetables are tender. Drain on kitchen paper and cook the remaining fritters, adding more oil as necessary.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil for the spiced yogurt in a separate small pan over a low-medium heat. Add the ground spices and cook for a few minutes until fragrant. Remove from the heat and leave to cool. Stir the spiced oil into the yogurt and season with salt and pepper.
- Serve the fritters warm with the spiced yogurt and scatter with the remaining fresh coriander and feta.
Make the fritters a few hours in advance, stack with squares of greaseproof paper between them to prevent sticking and keep chilled. Crisp up in a hot oven for 10 minutes before serving.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Butternut squash and sage fritters
Crispy butternut squash fritters topped with maple bacon and a crisp-fried egg – that’s our type...