Carrot, ginger and coriander fritters
- October 2017
- Makes 16
- Hands-on time 40 min
This lighter version of the fabulous fritter is big on flavour, but easier on the fats and calories. Perfect for lighter midweek eating.
- Vegetarian recipes
- 2g (0.3g saturated)
- 15.5g (2.3g sugars)
- 750g carrots, coarsely grated
- 3cm piece fresh ginger, finely grated
- ½ tbsp coriander seeds, toasted in a dry pan
- 2 tsp fennel seeds, toasted in a dry pan
- ½ tbsp cumin seeds, toasted in a dry pan
- 1 medium free-range egg, beaten
- 5 tbsp plain flour
- 30g fresh coriander, roughly chopped (including the stalks), plus extra leaves to serve
- 4 tbsp sunflower oil for shallow frying
- Natural yogurt and lemon wedges to serve
- Heat the oven to 220°C/200°C fan/gas 7. Put the carrots and ginger into a square of muslin or a clean J-Cloth and squeeze out as much liquid as possible. Put in a medium mixing bowl and stir in the remaining ingredients (except the oil, yogurt and lemon) and a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Heat 2 tbsp sunflower oil in a large heavy-based frying pan over a medium-high heat and drop 8 heaped tablespoons of the fritter mixture into the pan. Press down with a spatula (you may need to cook fewer at a time if your pan is small). Cook for 3-4 minutes on each side until golden. Remove with a slotted spoon and transfer, in a single layer, to a large baking tray lined with non-stick baking paper. Repeat with the remaining oil and fritter mixture.
- Bake for 10 minutes, turning halfway, until cooked through. Sprinkle with extra coriander leaves and salt, and serve with yogurt and lemon wedges.
If you like heat, add a freshly chopped green chilli or 1 tsp dried chilli flakes to the mix.
You can make these fritters a few hours in advance and rewarm in a medium-hot oven until piping hot.
Fritters are usually deep-fried, but we’ve reduced the fat – and the calories – by shallow frying, then baking in a hot oven until crisp.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Spiced courgette fritters with mint and jalapeño dip
These light and crispy courgette fritters are packed with Indian-inspired spices and served with a...
Parmesan cauliflower fritters
These parmesan fritters work as a delicious starter or snack, and are a great way...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...