Roast chicken and vegetable soup
- September 2009
- Serves 4
- Takes 15 minutes to make, 15 minutes to cook
Use the remaining chicken from the roast chicken caesar salad recipe to make this soup. The carcass and wings can be used to make stock.
- 20.5g fat (6g saturated)
- 49.2g (4.7g sugar)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 celery sticks, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1.5 litres good chicken stock, hot
- 150g small pasta shapes
- 400g mixed summer vegetables, such as courgettes, carrots and green beans, chopped
- 400g can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cooked chicken breasts (see the Roast chicken Caesar salad recipe), skinned and meat shredded
- Large handful fresh basil leaves
- Extra-virgin olive oil, to serve
- Grated Parmesan or Grana Padano, to serve
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over a low heat and gently cook the onion, celery and garlic for 8 minutes until softened but not coloured.
- Add the chicken stock, bring to the boil, then add the pasta and cook for 2-3 minutes. Add the courgettes, carrots and green beans and simmer for a further 5 minutes until everything is almost tender.
- Season well, stir in the cannellini beans, chicken and basil and heat through for a few minutes.
- Drizzle with extra-virgin olive oil, sprinkle with Parmesan and serve with crusty bread.
Vary the vegetables in this soup according to what’s in season, so you can enjoy it all year round.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Cajun-style chicken meatballs
This recipe for cajun-style chicken meatballs is a delicious twist on a classic, and is...