Cauliflower cheese with ham
- March 2007
- Serves 4
- Ready in 20 minutes
A traditional cauliflower cheese recipe but with an excellent ham addition. Best served with your favourite Sunday roast.
For a vegan version try Gaz Okaley’s recipe.
- 24.8g (13.9g saturated)
- 22.1g (15.7g sugar)
- 1 large (about 1.3kg) cauliflower
- 25g butter
- 25g plain flour
- 568ml carton semi-skimmed milk
- 150g mature Cheddar, grated
- 3 tbsp wholegrain mustard
- 6 thin slices cooked ham, sliced
- Cut the cauliflower into florets, reserving the small green leaves. Cook in a pan of boiling, lightly salted water for 8 minutes, until just tender. Add the leaves and cook for a further 2 minutes. Drain well and tip into a deep, 2-litre heatproof dish.
- Meanwhile, preheat the grill to high. Make the sauce. Melt the butter in a pan over a medium heat. Add the flour and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Gradually stir in the milk, bring up to a simmer and cook, stirring, until thickened. Stir in 100g of the cheese, the mustard and half the ham. Season with freshly ground black pepper.
- Pour the sauce over the cauliflower and scatter with the remaining cheese and ham. Pop under the grill for 3-4 minutes, until the cheese is melted and golden.
Rate & review