Cauliflower, leek and cheese gratin
- November 2011
- Serves 4
- Takes 10 minutes to make, 35 minutes to cook
Choose a creamy side dish for Sunday roast with this cauliflower and leek gratin recipe, baked in a cheddar cheese sauce with thyme.
Prefer blue cheese? Try our cauliflower, leek and blue cheese gratin recipe.
- Vegetarian recipes
- 25.9g (15.8g saturated)
- 14g (8.1g sugars)
- 30g butter
- 30g plain flour
- 400ml whole milk
- 3 tbsp double cream
- 100g mature Cheddar, grated
- 1 leek, cut into chunks
- Medium head of cauliflower, broken into equal-size florets
- Few thyme sprigs, leaves picked
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan180°C/gas 6. Melt the butter in a wide-bottomed saucepan. When it foams, add the flour and stir for a minute. Gradually add the milk, stirring, until you have a smooth sauce. Bubble for 2 minutes, then remove from the heat and stir through the cream and cheese. Season well with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile cook the leek and cauliflower in a pan of boiling salted water for 4-5 minutes until just tender. Drain well.
- Spoon the leek and cauliflower into a serving dish, pour over the cheese sauce, mix and scatter with thyme. Bake for 30 minutes until bubbling and golden.
Rate & review