Cauliflower, leek and cheese gratin
- November 2011
- Serves 4
- Takes 10 minutes to make, 35 minutes to cook
Choose a creamy side dish for Sunday roast with this cauliflower and leek gratin recipe, baked in a cheddar cheese sauce with thyme.
Prefer blue cheese? Try our cauliflower, leek and blue cheese gratin recipe.
- Vegetarian recipes
- 25.9g (15.8g saturated)
- 14g (8.1g sugars)
- 30g butter
- 30g plain flour
- 400ml whole milk
- 3 tbsp double cream
- 100g mature Cheddar, grated
- 1 leek, cut into chunks
- Medium head of cauliflower, broken into equal-size florets
- Few thyme sprigs, leaves picked
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan180°C/gas 6. Melt the butter in a wide-bottomed saucepan. When it foams, add the flour and stir for a minute. Gradually add the milk, stirring, until you have a smooth sauce. Bubble for 2 minutes, then remove from the heat and stir through the cream and cheese. Season well with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile cook the leek and cauliflower in a pan of boiling salted water for 4-5 minutes until just tender. Drain well.
- Spoon the leek and cauliflower into a serving dish, pour over the cheese sauce, mix and scatter with thyme. Bake for 30 minutes until bubbling and golden.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
More food for thought...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...