Cauliflower, leek and blue cheese gratin
- November 2014
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 25 min, oven time 30 min
Cauliflower, leeks and blue cheese makes for a winning trio and if you’re after an easy, comforting midweek meal then this is the recipe you need to be making.
Or if you’re after a something a bit lighter for dinner, try our blue cheese, fennel and radish salad.
- 28.1g (8.2g saturated)
- 26g (12.5g sugars)
- 2 large leeks, trimmed and sliced
- Leaves from a few thyme sprigs
- 1 large cauliflower, sliced into florets
- Good grating nutmeg
- 40ml olive oil, plus extra for greasing
- 40g plain flour
- 400ml milk
- 50g strong vegetarian British blue cheese (such as Stilton)
- 25g fresh breadcrumbs
- 10g flaked almonds
- Lightly grease a 1 litre ovenproof dish with olive oil. Heat a little more oil in a pan and fry the leeks for 15 minutes with the thyme leaves.
- Meanwhile, bring a pan of lightly salted water to the boil. Add the cauliflower to the pan and boil for 2 minutes. Drain the cauliflower and toss with the leeks, add a good grating of nutmeg, season, then tip into the dish.
- Heat the oven to 200°C/fan180°C/gas 6. Heat 40ml olive oil in the pan, stir in the flour and cook for 1 minute. Gradually stir in the milk, then crumble in the cheese. Stir until melted. Taste, season, then pour over the veg.
- Toss the fresh breadcrumbs in olive oil, then sprinkle over the gratin along with the flaked almonds. Bake for 30 minutes or until golden.
Rate & review