Sweetcorn chowder (vegan)
- April 2017
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 20 min
Katy Beskow‘s vegan sweetcorn chowder has a hearty, smoky flavour to it. Using frozen sweetcorn in this quick and easy recipe reduces the cooking time to 20 minutes.
- Vegan recipes
- Vegetarian recipes
- 22.4g (17.1g saturated)
- 14.9g (7.4g sugars)
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil
- 1 onion, roughly chopped
- 1 red pepper, finely sliced
- 1 celery stick, chopped
- ¼ tsp chilli flakes
- 300g frozen sweetcorn
- 800ml vegetable stock, hot
- 400ml coconut milk
- 1 rounded tsp smoked paprika
- 2 spring onions, thinly sliced on the diagonal, handful fresh coriander leaves and 1 lime, quartered, to garnish
- In a large pan with a lid, heat the oil over a medium heat. Add the onion, then add the red pepper, celery and chilli flakes and cook for 2-3 minutes to soften slightly.
- Add the sweetcorn, vegetable stock and coconut milk, then increase the heat to high. Stir in the smoked paprika, then partially cover with a lid. Cook for 10 minutes, stirring every now and then.
- Remove from the heat and season with sea salt. Ladle half the soup into a blender and whizz until smooth. Pour the smooth half back into the unblended soup and mix to combine. Serve hot, scattered with the spring onions, coriander and a wedge of lime to garnish.
Recipe from Katy Beskow’s book 15 Minute Vegan (£8, Amazon).
For a thicker soup, blend in some boiled potatoes with the sweetcorn (step 3).
Make up to 24 hours in advance. Store covered in the fridge and warm over a low heat.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Roasted sweetcorn soup with curry-spiced butter
Debbie Major uses curry butter to spice up this roasted sweetcorn soup recipe.
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...