Sweetcorn chowder (vegan)
- April 2017
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 20 min
Katy Beskow‘s vegan sweetcorn chowder has a hearty, smoky flavour to it. Using frozen sweetcorn in this quick and easy recipe reduces the cooking time to 20 minutes.
- Vegan recipes
- Vegetarian recipes
- 22.4g (17.1g saturated)
- 14.9g (7.4g sugars)
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil
- 1 onion, roughly chopped
- 1 red pepper, finely sliced
- 1 celery stick, chopped
- ¼ tsp chilli flakes
- 300g frozen sweetcorn
- 800ml vegetable stock, hot
- 400ml coconut milk
- 1 rounded tsp smoked paprika
- 2 spring onions, thinly sliced on the diagonal, handful fresh coriander leaves and 1 lime, quartered, to garnish
- In a large pan with a lid, heat the oil over a medium heat. Add the onion, then add the red pepper, celery and chilli flakes and cook for 2-3 minutes to soften slightly.
- Add the sweetcorn, vegetable stock and coconut milk, then increase the heat to high. Stir in the smoked paprika, then partially cover with a lid. Cook for 10 minutes, stirring every now and then.
- Remove from the heat and season with sea salt. Ladle half the soup into a blender and whizz until smooth. Pour the smooth half back into the unblended soup and mix to combine. Serve hot, scattered with the spring onions, coriander and a wedge of lime to garnish.
Recipe from Katy Beskow’s book 15 Minute Vegan (£8, Amazon).
For a thicker soup, blend in some boiled potatoes with the sweetcorn (step 3).
Make up to 24 hours in advance. Store covered in the fridge and warm over a low heat.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Roasted sweetcorn soup with curry-spiced butter
Debbie Major uses curry butter to spice up this roasted sweetcorn soup recipe.