Cauliflower schnitzels with paprika and sage sauce and butter bean mash
- March 2018
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 20 min, oven time 12-15 min
A vegetarian take on the beloved chicken schnitzel, our cauliflower schnitzels are coated in paprika flavoured breadcrumbs and served with a creamy bean mash.
- Vegetarian recipes
- 12.5g (5.8g saturated)
- 24.3g protein
- 61.9g (9.7g sugars)
- 0.4g salt
- 1 large cauliflower
- 45g cornflour, plus ½ tsp extra mixed with 50ml cold water
- 1 tsp paprika
- 2 medium free-range eggs
- 100g dried breadcrumbs
- 3 x 400g tins butter beans, drained
- 150ml single cream
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- ½ small bunch fresh sage, leaves picked
- 1 red chilli, chopped (deseeded if you like)
- Grated zest and juice ½ lemon, plus wedges to serve
- Remove and chop the cauliflower leaves, then set aside. Trim the stalk. Cut the cauliflower head into 4 thick slices through the stalk so it holds each slice together. Heat the oven to 180°C/160°C fan/gas 4.
- Mix the 45g cornflour, ¼ tsp of the paprika and salt and pepper in a wide shallow bowl, beat the eggs in a separate wide shallow bowl and put the breadcrumbs in a third. Dust each cauliflower slice in the flour mixture, shake off the excess, then coat in the egg and finally in the breadcrumbs, gently patting on the crumbs to cover.
- Put the drained butterbeans in a pan, fill an empty tin with water and add to the pan, then bring to the boil. Set a steamer or sieve over the top of the pan, add the cauliflower leaves and steam for 1 minute, then set aside. Mash the hot butterbeans and their cooking water with 1 tbsp of the cream, then season and stir in the cauli leaves.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan over a medium heat and fry the sage leaves until crisp (it will be easier if you tilt the pan). Set aside the leaves and spoon half the oil into a small bowl. Fry the cauliflower slices in the same pan for 1-2 minutes on each side to brown, then transfer to a foil-lined baking tray. Roast for 12-15 minutes until tender.
- Wipe the frying pan and fry the chilli in the set aside oil over a medium heat for 1 minute. Add the remaining cream, the cornflour and water mixture and the rest of the paprika, then bubble for 1 minute until slightly thickened. Stir in the lemon zest and juice, then taste and season. Serve the cauliflower on top of the butter bean mash with the paprika sauce poured over, garnished with the sage leaves and lemon wedges for squeezing over.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Whole roasted cauliflower with cheddar and spring onion sauce
This whole roasted cauliflower recipe is a truly showstopping vegetarian main course, for Christmas or...