Chargrilled steak with roasted squash
- February 2005
- Serves 4 people
- Ready in 50 minutes
This hearty steak dinner recipe is sweetened with maple syrup and baked squash.
- 900g butternut squash, peeled and cut into chunks
- 10 small shallots, halved
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme leaves
- Grated zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/2 tsp coarse black pepper
- 1/2 tsp Maldon sea salt
- 4 x 150g lean sirloin steaks
- 150g carton virtually fat-free fromage frais
- 2 tsp horseradish sauce
- Small handful chopped fresh flatleaf parsley
- 100g baby spinach leaves
- Preheat the oven to 220°C/fan200°C/gas 7.
- Put the squash into a roasting tin with the shallots. Pour over half the oil and the maple syrup, then toss together. Roast for 35 minutes, or until golden.
- Meanwhile, put the thyme, zest, garlic, pepper and salt in a mortar and grind with the pestle. Stir in the remaining oil and spread all over the steaks. Set aside.
- Mix together the fromage frais, horseradish, parsley and enough lemon juice to taste. Set aside.
- About 10 minutes before the squash is ready, put a griddle pan over a high heat until smoking, add the steaks and cook for 2-5 minutes each side, depending on how you like them cooked. Toss the spinach into the squash and pile onto plates. Halve the steaks and place on top of the vegetables.
- Serve with a drizzle of balsamic vinegar, if you like, and horseradish sauce.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Onglet steak with lentil and herb salad
This easy steak and lentil salad recipe from Valentine Warner is substantial enough for a...
T-bone steaks with tomato, caper and rosemary sauce
This is steak – Venetian style – served sliced with a sweet and tangy cherry...