Cheat’s southern fried chicken with cream gravy and sweetcorn mash
- May 2006
- Serves 2
- Hands-on time 20 mins
American-style fried chicken on a bed of sweetcorn mash and served with a side of creamy gravy – that’s indulgent midweek eating at its best.
- 300g potatoes
- 15g butter, plus extra for the mash
- 198g can sweetcorn, drained
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 2 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- Splash of white wine
- 142ml carton double cream
- Flatleaf parsley, to serve
- Cut the potatoes into even-size pieces and cook in boiling salted water for 12 minutes, until tender. Drain and mash with a knob of butter and the sweetcorn. Keep warm.
- Meanwhile, mix the flour and chilli powder. Toss the chicken in the chilli flour, shaking off any excess. Melt 15g butter in a frying pan and cook the chicken for 5-6 minutes each side until golden and tender (be careful not to let the butter burn).
- Push the chicken to 1 side. Add the wine to the pan and bubble for 1 minute, then add the cream, bring to the boil and cook briefly until just thickened. Season well. Spoon the sweetcorn mash onto plates, add the chicken and pour over the sauce. Scatter with parsley to serve.
Rate & review