Cheddar, pickled mushroom and wild garlic toastie
- May 2016
- Serves 2
- 25 min
In a cheese toastie cook-off, chef Sasha Matkevich came out on top with this rich, cheesy comforting recipe with quick-pickled mushrooms.
- 30.4g (15.5g saturated)
- 33.6g (4.3g sugars)
- 4 light sourdough slices (Sasha used a loaf with a touch of rye)
- 4 thin pancetta slices, chopped into 1cm pieces
- 100g mature cheddar (Sasha used montgomery’s), cut into thin slices
- 10g wild garlic leaves, cut in half if longer than the bread
For the quick-pickled mushrooms
- 100ml white wine or cider vinegar
- 30g caster sugar
- 2 tsp sea salt flakes
- ½ shallot, finely chopped
- 50g wild or button mushrooms
- For the quick-pickled mushrooms, put the vinegar, sugar, salt and shallot into a bowl and stir to dissolve the sugar and salt. Add the mushrooms, toss to coat, then leave while you assemble the toastie.
- Heat a large heavy-based pan over a medium heat – don’t add any oil or butter. Toast 2 slices of sourdough in the hot pan for 2 minutes until starting to brown. Top with pieces of pancetta, divide half the cheese between the slices, then layer on the wild garlic. Add some pickled mushrooms (well drained), then top with the remaining cheese and bread slices. Cook until the cheese is starting to melt and the underside of the bread has good colour.
- Flip the sandwich carefully, then cook for a few minutes, pressing with a spatula, until the underside is golden and the cheese oozes from the sides. If you want, finish the toasties with a 5-minute blast in a hot (200°C/180°C fan/gas 6) oven to ensure all the cheese has melted.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Taleggio and chutney griddled toastie fingers
Serve these gooey griddled taleggio and chutney toastie fingers as a snack for a hungry...