Pancetta and cheddar tartines
- March 2008
- Serves 2
- Ready in 10 minutes
A quick French recipe for two – tartines are made by toasting slices of baguette with pancetta, mushrooms and cheese.
- 70g cubed pancetta or lardons
- 6 medium field mushrooms, thickly sliced
- 25g garlic butter
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
- A thick rustic baguette
- 60g mild Cheddar, diced
- Tomato salad, to serve
- Fry the pancetta or lardons in a dry frying pan for a few minutes, until turning golden. Remove from the pan with a slotted spoon and set aside to drain on a plate lined with kitchen paper.
- Discard the excess fat from the pan, then add the mushrooms and garlic butter. Cook over a medium heat for 5 minutes, turning the mushrooms occasionally, until cooked and fragrant. Stir in the thyme leaves.
- Preheat the grill to medium, cut 4 large diagonal slices from the baguette and toast for 1 minute, until golden on 1 side. Turn the slices over and top the untoasted sides with the mushrooms, drizzling with the pan juices, then with the cheese and pancetta.
- Grill for a further 1-2 minutes, until oozing and melted. Serve immediately, with a tomato salad.
Rate & review