Cheese and courgette tart
- May 2010
- for 6 people
- Takes 25 minutes to make, 35-40 minutes to cook, plus resting
To make this stunning tart recipe veggie, you could substitute Somerset brie for the taleggio, and pesto for prosciutto.
- 62.6g (33.6g saturated)
- 26.6g protein
- 42g (3.5g sugar)
- 1.2g salt
- 150g prosciutto slices
- 1 large garlic clove
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 200g pot crème fraîche
- 2 large free-range egg yolks
- 250g taleggio, sliced, rind removed
- 3 courgettes, very thinly sliced lengthways on a mandoline
- Grated zest of 1 lemon
- 1 tbsp roasted hazelnuts, chopped
For the polenta pastry
- 75g quick-cook polenta
- 225g plain flour
- ½ tsp salt
- 150g cold butter, chopped
- 30g parmesan
- 1 large free-range egg yolk
- First, make the pastry. Place the polenta, flour and salt in a bowl, add the butter and rub together until it resembles fine breadcrumbs. Stir in the parmesan, then the egg yolk and about 4-5 tbsp ice-cold water to bind. Bring together in a ball, wrap in cling film and chill for 20 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan180°C/gas 6 and place a baking sheet in to heat up. Roll out the pastry, use to line a 28cm x 20cm loose-bottomed tart tin (or use a 23cm round tin) and prick the base all over with a fork. Line with baking paper, fill with baking beans or rice, place on the hot baking sheet and blind-bake for 12 minutes. Remove the paper and beans/rice and return to the oven for a further 5-10 minutes until the pastry is lightly golden and crisp. Turn the oven down to 180°C/fan160°C/gas 4.
- Meanwhile, blend the prosciutto, garlic and 2 tbsp of the oil in a food processor. In a frying pan, soften the onion in 1 tbsp oil for 5 minutes, then set aside to cool.
- Spread the prosciutto mix over the base of the tart and scatter over the onion. Mix the crème fraîche and egg yolks and pour over the top. Top with the sliced taleggio and bake for 15-20 minutes until just set.
- Meanwhile, in a bowl, toss the courgette in the remaining oil. Heat a griddle pan until hot and griddle the courgette, in batches, for 2 minutes on each side, then set aside.
- Lay the courgettes over the tart, then scatter with the lemon zest and hazelnuts. Return to the oven for 5 minutes. Slice and serve warm.
To freeze: make up until the end of step 4, cool, then cover in cling film, wrap in foil and freeze for up to 3 months. Defrost and finish.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...