Chicken and mushrooms on bruschetta
- February 2006
- Serves 4
- Ready in 25 minutes
A quick and easy lunch recipe with chicken and mushrooms on griddled garlicky bread.
- 23.5g (3.5g saturated)
- 18.3g (1.8g sugars)
- 2 free-range chicken breasts
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Leaves from 2 fresh thyme sprigs
- 50g pine nuts
- 8 medium button mushrooms
- Juice of ½ lemon
- Extra-virgin olive oil or salad oil
- 4 slices bruschetta (see tip)
- 2 generous handfuls of lamb’s lettuce leaves, washed and dried
- Preheat the oven to its highest setting. Rub the chicken breasts with the oil, thyme, and ½ teaspoon each of salt and cracked black pepper. Place in a small roasting tray and cook for 15 minutes, or until cooked through and turning golden. Set aside and allow to cool a bit.
- Meanwhile, place the pine nuts on a baking sheet and roast at the same temperature for 2-3 minutes, until golden brown. Set aside.
- Slice the mushrooms as finely as you can (slivers are what you’re after). Now lay them on a plate and squeeze the lemon juice over them. Drizzle with a little extra-virgin olive oil (or a salad oil of your choice).
- Prepare the bruschetta and put each slice on a plate. Slice the chicken as finely as you can, reserving any juices. Toss the chicken, mushrooms and lettuce with any juices, then check the seasoning.
- Divide the salad between the rounds of bruschetta and scatter with the pine nuts. Drizzle with a little extra-virgin olive oil. For extra decadence you could finish this off with shaved Parmesan.
If you can’t find lamb’s lettuce leaves, you could use a frisée lettuce heart or a head of chicory.
To make bruschetta, grill or griddle good bread on both sides, rub with the cut side of a garlic clove, anoint liberally with extra-virgin olive oil and season with salt.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Chicken and mushroom fricassée
Transform a ready-roasted chicken into this decadent chicken and mushroom fricassée recipe.