- February 2010
- Serves 4
- Takes 20 minutes to make, about 1 hour to cook
Chicken chasseur is a classic French recipe made with chicken thighs, white wine, fresh herbs and mushrooms.
Another classic French recipe we love is Raymond Blanc’s chicken and mushroom in wine sauce; give it a go!
- 13.7g (3g saturated)
- 5.5g (3.8g sugars)
- 8 skinned and boned chicken thighs
- 4 large fresh thyme sprigs, leaves picked
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 100g (about 3) shallots, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tbsp tomato purée
- 200ml dry white wine
- 200ml chicken stock (we like Knorr)
- 300g small chestnut mushrooms, halved
- 2 fresh bay leaves
- 200g fresh or canned chopped tomatoes
- 2 tbsp fresh flatleaf parsley, chopped
- Open out the chicken thighs and place skinned-side down on a work surface. Sprinkle with half the thyme and some seasoning, roll back into shape and tie at each end with string.
- Heat a deep, non-stick frying pan over a medium-high heat. Add 1 tbsp oil and fry the chicken pieces until golden all over. Set aside.
- Add the rest of the oil, shallot and garlic to the pan. Fry for 4-5 minutes until lightly browned. Stir in the purée, cook for 1 minute, add the wine and stock, and bring to the boil. Return the chicken to the pan with the mushrooms, remaining thyme, bay leaves and some seasoning.
- Cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Uncover, stir in the tomatoes and simmer for 30-35 minutes. Turn the chicken now and then, cooking until the chicken is tender and the sauce has reduced. Sprinkle with the parsley and serve with mashed potatoes.
Want more? Find our collection of one-pots here.
Chicken is lower in fat and calories than red meat – 100g of skinless chicken contains 108 calories and 2.1g fat compared to 136 calories and 5.1g fat in the same amount of lean beef. Plus, chicken, like all meats, is a rich source of protein, which helps you stay feeling fuller for longer.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Chicken breast recipes
Raymond Blanc’s chicken and mushrooms in wine sauce
This classic chicken recipe from famous French chef Raymond Blanc, made with morel mushrooms and...
Chicken casserole recipes
Farmhouse chicken casserole with carrots, leeks and potato
This creamy chicken casserole is made with potatoes, carrots, leeks and fresh herbs for a...