Chicken, cider and vegetable casserole
- April 2017
- Serves 4, twice over.
- Hands-on time 20 min, oven time 40-50 min
Our easy recipe for creamy chicken, cider and vegetable casserole makes a double portion – pop half in the freezer and enjoy the other half for dinner.
- Gluten-free recipes
- 11g (4g saturated)
- 22g (8.5g sugars)
- Vegetable oil for frying
- 1 butternut squash, peeled and cut into small chunks
- 500g small new potatoes, halved
- 4 leeks, finely sliced
- 300ml dry cider, plus an extra glug
- 750ml chicken stock (we like Knorr)
- 12 British free-range skinless boneless chicken thighs
- 2 tbsp wholegrain mustard
- 80g crème fraîche
- Bunch fresh flatleaf parsley, roughly chopped (optional)
- Lemon juice to serve (optional)
- Heat the oven to 190°C/170°C fan/gas 5. Heat a glug of oil in a large deep casserole with a lid. Add the vegetables and fry for 8-10 minutes over a medium-high heat to colour.
- Add the cider, turn up the heat to high, then reduce for 2-3 minutes. Add the stock, chicken thighs and mustard. Put the lid on and cook in the oven for 40-50 minutes until the chicken is cooked through and tender. Add an extra glug of cider, stir in the crème fraîche and season.
- Serve half the casserole, scattered with the freshly chopped parsley and a squeeze of lemon, if using.
Next time: Bone-in chicken thighs will add more flavour (remove the skin before cooking). Use white wine instead of cider and any veg you have to hand – try carrots, mushrooms or celery.
Cook to the end of step 2, then cool completely and store, covered, in the fridge for 3-4 days.
To freeze: Leave the remainder to cool completely, then transfer to a large freezerproof plastic container, food bag or foil containers and freeze for up to 3 months. When you want to reheat: If stored in a plastic container or food bag, defrost fully, then pour into a pan or flameproof casserole and heat through on the hob until piping hot. If in foil containers, reheat from frozen at 160°C/140°C fan/gas 4 for 50-60 minutes until piping hot.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Chicken casserole recipes
Healthier chicken casserole with tarragon dumplings
The tarragon dumplings which top this easy chicken casserole are made with yogurt, instead of...