Chicken, cider and vegetable casserole
- April 2017
- Serves 4, twice over.
- Hands-on time 20 min, oven time 40-50 min
Our easy recipe for creamy chicken, cider and vegetable casserole makes a double portion – pop half in the freezer and enjoy the other half for dinner.
- Gluten-free recipes
- 11g (4g saturated)
- 22g (8.5g sugars)
- Vegetable oil for frying
- 1 butternut squash, peeled and cut into small chunks
- 500g small new potatoes, halved
- 4 leeks, finely sliced
- 300ml dry cider, plus an extra glug
- 750ml chicken stock (we like Knorr)
- 12 British free-range skinless boneless chicken thighs
- 2 tbsp wholegrain mustard
- 80g crème fraîche
- Bunch fresh flatleaf parsley, roughly chopped (optional)
- Lemon juice to serve (optional)
- Heat the oven to 190°C/170°C fan/gas 5. Heat a glug of oil in a large deep casserole with a lid. Add the vegetables and fry for 8-10 minutes over a medium-high heat to colour.
- Add the cider, turn up the heat to high, then reduce for 2-3 minutes. Add the stock, chicken thighs and mustard. Put the lid on and cook in the oven for 40-50 minutes until the chicken is cooked through and tender. Add an extra glug of cider, stir in the crème fraîche and season.
- Serve half the casserole, scattered with the freshly chopped parsley and a squeeze of lemon, if using.
Next time: Bone-in chicken thighs will add more flavour (remove the skin before cooking). Use white wine instead of cider and any veg you have to hand – try carrots, mushrooms or celery.
Cook to the end of step 2, then cool completely and store, covered, in the fridge for 3-4 days.
To freeze: Leave the remainder to cool completely, then transfer to a large freezerproof plastic container, food bag or foil containers and freeze for up to 3 months. When you want to reheat: If stored in a plastic container or food bag, defrost fully, then pour into a pan or flameproof casserole and heat through on the hob until piping hot. If in foil containers, reheat from frozen at 160°C/140°C fan/gas 4 for 50-60 minutes until piping hot.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Chicken casserole recipes
Healthier chicken casserole with tarragon dumplings
The tarragon dumplings which top this easy chicken casserole are made with yogurt, instead of...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...