Healthier chicken and leek pie
- January 2017
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 30 min, oven time 20-25 min
Shortcrust pastry has been swapped for ready-made filo pastry sheets to make both a healthier and easier recipe. Ready in under an hour this chicken pie makes for a comforting midweek meal.
- 13.7g (2.3g saturated)
- 37.8g (9.1g sugars)
- 2 tbsp olive oil, plus extra for brushing
- 4 small carrots, cut into 2cm pieces
- 4 leeks, finely sliced
- 6 British free-range skinless and boneless chicken thigh fillets, cut into 3cm pieces
- 2 tbsp dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 200ml dry white wine
- 200ml hot chicken stock
- 20g fresh flatleaf parsley, chopped, plus extra to serve
- 4 filo pastry sheets
- Heat the oven to 190°C/170°C fan/gas 5. Heat the oil in a deep frying pan over a medium-high heat, then fry the carrots and leeks for 4-5 minutes until the leeks are softening. Add the chicken, mustard and flour; season and fry for 5 minutes.
- Pour in the wine and stock, and gently bubble for about 5 minutes or until the liquid has thickened and reduced by about a third. Stir in the parsley.
- Transfer the filling to a 1.3-1.5 litre baking dish. Crumple the filo sheets on top, then brush with a little oil. Bake for 20-25 minutes until the filo is golden and the filling is bubbling.
Use chopped pork loin instead of chicken thigh fillets.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
More food for thought...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...