Healthier chicken and leek pie
- January 2017
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 30 min, oven time 20-25 min
Shortcrust pastry has been swapped for ready-made filo pastry sheets to make both a healthier and easier recipe. Ready in under an hour this chicken pie makes for a comforting midweek meal.
- 13.7g (2.3g saturated)
- 37.8g (9.1g sugars)
- 2 tbsp olive oil, plus extra for brushing
- 4 small carrots, cut into 2cm pieces
- 4 leeks, finely sliced
- 6 British free-range skinless and boneless chicken thigh fillets, cut into 3cm pieces
- 2 tbsp dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 200ml dry white wine
- 200ml hot chicken stock
- 20g fresh flatleaf parsley, chopped, plus extra to serve
- 4 filo pastry sheets
- Heat the oven to 190°C/170°C fan/gas 5. Heat the oil in a deep frying pan over a medium-high heat, then fry the carrots and leeks for 4-5 minutes until the leeks are softening. Add the chicken, mustard and flour; season and fry for 5 minutes.
- Pour in the wine and stock, and gently bubble for about 5 minutes or until the liquid has thickened and reduced by about a third. Stir in the parsley.
- Transfer the filling to a 1.3-1.5 litre baking dish. Crumple the filo sheets on top, then brush with a little oil. Bake for 20-25 minutes until the filo is golden and the filling is bubbling.
Use chopped pork loin instead of chicken thigh fillets.
Rate & review