Chicken, mushroom and barley stew
- November 2015
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 15-20 min, simmering time 30 min
Meaty mushrooms and moist chicken thighs make this easy stew recipe hearty and satisfying.
- 9.4g (2.1g saturated)
- 55.1g (4.2g sugars)
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 4 shallots, thinly sliced
- 250g chestnut mushrooms, halved (or quartered if large)
- 2 leeks, sliced into 2cm rounds
- 250g pearl barley
- 500ml fresh chicken stock
- 8 free-range skinless and boneless chicken thighs, cut into thirds
- 150g kale
- Small bunch fresh flatleaf parsley, roughly chopped
- Grated zest and juice 1 lemon
- Crème fraîche (optional)
- Heat the oil in a casserole or heavy-based frying pan over a medium heat, then add the shallots, mushrooms and leeks. Fry gently for 5 minutes or until they start to colour. Add the pearl barley and toast it, stirring, for 3-4 minutes.
- Pour in the chicken stock and 300ml cold water and simmer for 15 minutes. Add the chicken and simmer for 10-15 minutes until the veg, barley and chicken are cooked and tender. Stir in the kale, half the parsley and the lemon zest and juice. Simmer for 5 minutes more. Season to taste, then sprinkle with the rest of the parsley. Serve with crème fraîche, if you like.
Rate & review
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...