Chicken, sausage and squash stew
- October 2014
- Serves 6
- Hands-on time 1 hour 15 min
Celebrate the flavours of autumn with this chicken, sausage and squash stew. It’s a warming recipe for when the chill sets in.
- 20.2g (6.3g saturated)
- 13.9g (6.8g sugars)
- 2 tbsp olive oil, plus a small splash
- 6 banana shallots, halved
- 6 free-range pork sausages, each sliced into 3 pieces (see tip)
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 25g butter
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 250ml dry white wine
- 600ml good quality chicken stock, hot
- 4 skinless, boneless free-range chicken thighs, chopped
- 600g butternut (or other) squash, peeled and cut into large chunks
- 1 large fresh rosemary sprig
- Fresh flatleaf parsley, chopped, to serve
- Steamed rice or crusty bread to serve
- Heat the 2 tbsp oil in a lidded heavy-based pan and gently fry the shallots, covered, for 10 minutes until golden and softened, stirring occasionally.
- In a large frying pan, heat a little more oil over a high heat. Fry the sausages until well browned.
- Meanwhile, add the garlic to the shallot pan with the butter and cook for 2 minutes. Stir in the flour and cook for 1 minute, then gradually stir in the wine and stock, adding amounts alternately. Bring to the boil, then add the chicken, sausages, squash and rosemary.
- Turn to a simmer, then cover with a lid and cook gently for 45 minutes until the chicken is cooked through.
- Serve in bowls, topped with a good sprinkling of chopped fresh flat leaf parsley, alongside some steamed rice or crusty bread.
To freeze leftover squash, peel and chop, then freeze the pieces raw in a single layer on a tray for 2 hours before storing in freezer proof containers or bags. Add to stews straight from frozen.
Make up to 3 days ahead. Keep in a sealed container in the fridge. Reheat to serve, adding parsley at the end. Freeze for up to 3 months, tightly sealed in a freezer bag or freezer proof container. Defrost before reheating.
You could replace the sausages in step 2 with chopped cooking chorizo (about 200g) if you like the spicy hit of smoked paprika.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Summer stew recipes and pot roasts
Braised chicken legs with baby onions, lettuce and peas
This comforting dish is perfect served with a dollop of buttery mashed potatoes – and...