Pomegranate and chicken stew
- November 2016
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 25 min, simmering time 45-50 min
This sweet and savoury chicken stew recipe can be made a day in advance and re-heated for when you are ready to tuck in.
- Gluten-free recipes
- 16.3g (7.5g saturated)
- 35.6g (32g sugars)
- 1.2g salt
- 40g butter
- 400g shallots, quartered
- 5 carrots, sliced into 2cm pieces
- 1kg free-range skinless and boneless chicken thighs
- 3 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 300ml pomegranate juice
- 2 tbsp pomegranate molasses
- 500ml chicken stock
- Large bunch fresh coriander
- Large bunch fresh flatleaf parsley
- 100g pomegranate seeds
- Steamed rice to serve
- Melt the butter in a large casserole dish over a medium heat. Add the shallots and fry for 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until softened and lightly caramelised. Add the carrots and cook for 5 minutes more.
- Add the chicken thighs, garlic, bay leaves, cinnamon, pomegranate juice and molasses, and the stock. Bring to the boil, then turn down the heat to a gentle simmer. Cook for 45-50 minutes until the chicken is cooked through and tender. Season with salt and pepper, stir in the herbs and top with pomegranate seeds. Serve with steamed rice.
Make the stew up to 24 hours ahead (without the herbs and pomegranate seeds), then keep, covered, in the fridge. Heat until piping hot throughout, then add the herbs and seeds.
Rate & review