Chicken, sweet potato and blue cheese pot pies
- January 2011
- Serves 4
- Takes 10 minutes to make, 45 minutes to cook
These are creamy, cheesy and packed full of hearty vegetables and chicken. A comforting and delicious pot pie recipe.
- 63.6g (25.2g saturated)
- 78.2g (8.2g sugar)
- 1 red onion, finely sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 4-6 free-range skinless boneless chicken thighs, cut into chunks
- 2 tbsp plain flour, plus extra for dusting
- 3 small sweet potatoes, cut into chunks
- A few sprigs of fresh rosemary, leaves stripped
- 500ml chicken stock, hot
- 150g blue cheese, crumbled
- 4 tbsp double cream
- 450g pack ready-rolled shortcrust pastry
- 1 medium free-range egg, lightly beaten
- Gently fry the red onion and garlic in 2 tbsp olive oil until softened, then remove to a bowl. Season the chicken, roll in the plain flour, then add to the pan with the remaining oil. Increase the heat and fry until golden brown on all sides.
- Return the onion to the pan along with the sweet potatoes, rosemary and hot stock. Season and simmer for 3-5 minutes. Remove from the heat, then stir through the blue cheese and cream.
- Preheat the oven to 200ºC/fan180ºC/gas 6. Divide the filling equally among 4 x 300ml pie dishes and allow to cool.
- Meanwhile, on a lightly floured surface, unroll the pastry and cut into 4 pieces that are slightly larger than your pie dishes.
- Top each pie dish with a piece of pastry, trimming the excess with a sharp knife and pressing around the edges to seal. Cut out shapes from the trimmings and use to decorate the pies, sticking them on with beaten egg.
- Make a small incision in the top of each pie, brush with beaten egg, then bake for 25-30 minutes until golden brown. Serve with seasonal vegetables.
Freeze each assembled, uncooked pie, wrapped well in cling film and foil, for up to 3 months. Cook from frozen, adding an extra 15-20 minutes’ cooking time, until piping hot.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Chocolate custard eggs
Kids will love helping to make – then eat – these quick chocolate custard Easter...