Chicken tikka with mango raita
- February 2006
- Serves 4
- Ready in 1 hour
A variation on the old favourite chicken tikka, given a real zesty touch with the addition of the delicious raita.
- 700g skinless organic chicken breasts, cubed
- 1 tbsp sweet paprika
- ¼ tsp turmeric
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp garam masala
- Seeds from 6 cardamom pods, ground
- 75g low-fat natural bio yogurt
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 5cm piece fresh ginger, finely grated
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- Cucumber sprinkled with cayenne pepper, to serve
For the brown rice pilau
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil
- 8 cardamom pods, cracked
- 4 cloves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 fresh bay leaves
- 350g brown basmati rice
For the mango raita
- 1 small, ripe mango
- 175g low-fat natural bio yogurt
- 1 tbsp mango chutney
- 3 tbsp chopped fresh mint
- Mix the chicken, spices, yogurt, lemon juice, ginger and garlic in a bowl. Set aside for 20 minutes.
- Make the pilau. Heat the oil in a medium saucepan. Add the spices, stir briefly, then add the rice and 700ml boiling water. Bring to the boil, cover, reduce the heat and cook for 25 minutes. Set aside for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat the grill to high. Thread the chicken onto 4 skewers. Grill for 12 minutes, turning, or until cooked.
- Make the raita. Peel, stone and dice the mango. Mix with the yogurt, chutney and mint. Serve the raita with the chicken, pilau and cucumber.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Favourite chicken recipes
Chicken tikka masala skewers with yogurt cucumber salad
Leave these to marinate before work and dinner’s ready in half the time!