Pepper and paneer skewers with gooseberry raita
- June 2023
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 25 min
Pair pepper and paneer skewers with a gooseberry raita for a bit of a revelation. The raita is still fresh thanks to the mint and cucumber, but benefits from the added piquant zing of gooseberries. This is a super dish for sunshine-filled lunches.
Discover our top paneer recipe ideas.
- 34g (21g saturated)
- 8.5g (8.1g sugars)
- ½ cucumber
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 tsp garam masala
- 2 x 225g blocks paneer
- 2 yellow or orange peppers
- Vegetable oil to drizzle
- 100g gooseberries
- 200g greek yogurt
- 10g mint, leaves picked and chopped
- Finely grated zest 1 lime
- Skewers (soaked in cold water for 20 minutes if wooden)
- Coarsely grate the cucumber into a bowl, sprinkle with a generous pinch of salt and give it a stir. Set aside for 10 minutes or so to draw out some moisture.
- Meanwhile, toast the cumin seeds in a hot dry pan for a minute or so, then grind in a pestle and mortar. Divide between 2 bowls, adding the garam masala and a large pinch of salt to 1 of the bowls.
- Cut the paneer and peppers into 3-4cm chunks, adding them to the bowl with the garam masala and cumin in. Drizzle in a little vegetable oil and toss until thoroughly coated. Thread alternately onto skewers.
- Heat the grill to high. While you wait, drain the cucumber, giving it a good squeeze as you do so, then put it in the second bowl of ground cumin. Halve any particularly large gooseberries, then add them to the cucumber bowl with the greek yogurt, mint and lime zest. Give it a good stir, then season with salt and pepper.
- Grill the skewers for 8-10 minutes, turning regularly, until lightly charred. Serve with the raita on the side alongside naan and other dishes (if you like).
Swap the paneer for tofu or halloumi – or whatever you like, really. The raita goes with pretty much anything you’d stick on a skewer!
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Subscribe to our magazine
Food lovers, treat yourself this Christmas... Enjoy 12 months of magazines for £29.99 – just £2.50 an issue.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter