Chipotle black bean chilli with guacamole
- June 2013
- Serves 4
- Ready in 1 hour
Delicately toasted spices, chipotle paste, tomatoes and black beans are simmered together to create a wonderful vegetarian chilli. Served with homemade guacamole, this a crowdpleasing chilli to share with friends.
Try adding dark chocolate to your recipe, like in this vegetarian chilli, for added richness.
- Vegetarian recipes
- 19.8g (4.4g saturated)
- 33.8g (9.7g sugars)
- 1 tsp ground paprika
- 1 tbsp cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 red onion, finely sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tbsp chipotle paste or 1 dried chipotle chilli, left whole
- 2 x 400g cans chopped tomatoes
- 1 tsp red wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp milk
- Pinch of sugar
- 2 x 400g cans black beans
- Soured cream to serve
For the guacamole
- 1 lime, quartered, to serve
- 2 ripe avocados
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 red chilli, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh coriander, plus extra to garnish
- Toast the paprika and cumin seeds in a dry frying pan for 2-3 minutes until fragrant, then set aside.
- Heat the oil in a large pan over a low-medium heat, then fry the onion for 7-8 minutes until soft. Stir in the garlic, then cook for 1 minute. Add the toasted spices, chipotle paste/whole chilli, tomatoes, vinegar, milk and sugar. Season, bring to the boil, then simmer, covered, for 20 minutes.
- For the guacamole, peel and stone the avocados, then mash with a fork and mix with the lime juice. Stir through the chilli and coriander.
- Remove the lid and add the beans. Continue to simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes, then serve with the soured cream, guacamole and lime wedges.
Make the chilli and store in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
Rate & review