Chocolate swiss meringue buttercream
- September 2021
- Makes enough to ice and fill a large sponge cake
- Hands-on time 20 min
Learn how to make perfect chocolate swiss meringue buttercream with our easy recipe. This glossy frosting holds its shape and is ideal for decorating sponges and cupcakes.
Check out our Vanilla swiss meringue buttercream recipe, too.
- Vegetarian recipes
- 38.6g (24.2g saturated)
- 150g caster sugar
- 140g egg whites (about 5)
- ¼ tsp salt
- 300g unsalted butter, diced and softened
- 100g dark chocolate, melted and cooled
- 100g milk chocolate, melted and cooled
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
You’ll also need
- Digital probe thermometer
- Electric hand or stand mixer
- Put the sugar, egg whites and salt in a large clean bowl set over a pot of barely simmering water. Cook, stirring, until the sugar dissolves and the mixture reads 72°C on a thermometer. Transfer to a bowl/stand mixer bowl and whisk with an electric mixer on medium until thick, glossy and completely cool.
- Whisk in the butter, 2 cubes at a time, incorporating each addition into the meringue before adding the next. Continue until all the butter is added. The mixture will look curdled at first, but keep whisking and it will come back together. Increase the mixer speed to high and whisk for 2 minutes more. Add both cooled chocolates, then whisk again until combined. Set aside at room temperature until ready to ice your cake or cupcakes.
Watch how to make it here:
The buttercream can be made in advance. Store in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 4 days, or freeze for up to 3 months – defrost before use. Chilled buttercream will turn stiff and crumbly. Beat with an electric mixer for 8-10 minutes. It will appear grainy at first, but keep on beating and it will re-emulsify and become smooth.
Swiss meringue buttercream is silky smooth and less sweet than American buttercream. It’s also more stable – good in warmer weather.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
More food for thought...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...