Classic cheese soufflé
- June 2013
- Makes 6 soufflés
- Hands-on time 25 min, cook time 10-12 min
- Melted butter (to brush ramekins)
- Dried white breadcrumbs
- 30g butter
- 30g plain flour
- 290ml whole milk
- 85g finely grated extra mature cheddar
- 4 free-range eggs, seperated
- ½ tsp English mustard powder
- A pinch of cayenne pepper
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan180°C/gas 6. Put a baking sheet on a shelf in the top third of the oven. Brush the insides of 6 x 150ml ramekins with melted butter, then lightly dust with dried white breadcrumbs.
- Melt 30g butter in a saucepan, then stir through 30g plain flour. Cook for 1 minute or until the flour smells biscuity. Gradually add 290ml whole milk and cook, stirring, until the mixture bubbles. Bubble for 2 minutes – the mixture will become very thick (Greek yogurt consistency).
- Remove the pan from the heat. Stir in 85g finely grated extra mature cheddar, 4 free-range egg yolks, ½ tsp English mustard powder, a pinch of cayenne pepper and plenty of salt and pepper. Taste the mixture – it should be slightly too salty.
- Whisk 4 free-range egg whites until just stiff, then mix 1 tbsp into the cheese mixture. Gently fold in the remaining egg white, then divide equally among the ramekins – they should be about two-thirds full.
- Run a knife around the inside of the ramekins to encourage the soufflés to rise, then bake for 10-12 minutes until risen and golden. Don’t open the oven door until at least two-thirds of the way through the cooking time. If you do want to test them, give the soufflés a gentle nudge – if they wobble a lot they’ll need extra time. Serve immediately.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Twice-baked crab and chive soufflés with quick-pickled samphire
These light crab and chive soufflés make an impressive starter...
Subscribe to our magazine
Food stories, skills and tested recipes, straight to your door... Enjoy 5 issues for just £5 with our special introductory offer.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter