- October 2018
- Makes 8
- Hands-on time 25 min, oven time 12-15 min
There’s nothing quite like the smell of freshly-baked scones straight from the oven. Try our recipe for this classic British favourite. The real question is: jam or cream first? You decide…
- 6.1g (3.7 saturated)
- 25.8g (4.6g sugars)
- 225g self-raising flour, plus extra for dusting
- Large pinch salt
- 50g unsalted butter, cubed
- 2 tbsp caster sugar
- 110ml whole milk
You’ll also need…
- 5cm fluted or plain cutter
- Heat the oven to 220°C/200°C fan/gas 7. Put the flour in a mixing bowl and mix in the salt. Add the butter then, using your fingertips, rub the butter into the flour to make a coarse breadcrumb texture.
- Using a table knife, stir in the sugar, then make a well in the middle and pour in the milk. Mix the dry ingredients into the wet using the knife to give a sticky dough.
- Lightly flour the work surface, then tip out the scone dough and lightly knead a few times until smooth. Roll out (or pat out on the work surface) to 2.5-3cm thick.
- Flour the cutter well, then press firmly on the dough to stamp out scones. Don’t twist the cutter as you press down. Gently re-roll the leftover dough and stamp out more scones (you should get 8 in total – don’t go thinner than 2.5cm or they’ll look flat). Transfer the scones to a baking sheet, dust the tops with a little more flour (or brush with clotted cream), then bake for 15 minutes until well risen and golden.
- Transfer the cooked scones to a wire rack to cool, then serve split in half topped with a good spread of butter and/or clotted cream and some good quality jam.
Scones are best eaten on the day they’re made, but they freeze well. Once cooled, freeze in bags for up to 1 month. Defrost, then warm in the oven.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Cauliflower cheese soup with mustard seed and cheddar scones
Debbie Major packs all the flavour of a cauliflower cheese into a warming soup. Paired...
Peter Gordon’s cheese scones
Peter Gordon perfected his scone recipe at his restaurant The Providores. Enjoy warm from the...