Sweetcorn cakes with avocado salsa
- January 2008
- Makes 20
- Ready in 30 minutes
The spice of red chillies is mellowed out by avocado salsa in this wonderful vegetarian canapé recipe.
- 60g plain flour
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Handful fresh coriander, plus extra sprigs, for garnishing
- 300g sweetcorn kernels
- 2 red chillies, deseeded and finely chopped
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 ripe avocado, stone removed and diced
- ½ red onion or 1 shallot, finely diced
- Juice of ½ lime
- Place the flour in a food processor with the egg, baking powder, half the coriander and half the corn. Whizz briefly, then stir in half the chilli and the remaining corn. Heat the oil in a large, non-stick frying pan and drop in teaspoonfuls of the corn mixture. Fry for 1 minute each side, until golden, then drain on kitchen paper while you cook the rest.
- Combine the avocado, remaining chilli and coriander, onion, lime juice and some seasoning together in a bowl.
- Arrange the corn cakes on platters and top each with a scant teaspoonful of salsa. Garnish each one with a sprig of coriander and serve immediately.
You could make the sweetcorn and red chilli cakes in advance. Keep them in a sealed plastic container in the fridge for up to 2 days, and bring up to room temperature before topping with the salsa to serve.
Rate & review