Courgette and pumpkin seed rice
- September 2005
- Serves 4
- Hands on time 20 mins
This is an incredibly easy courgette recipe – a sort of cheat’s pilaff – perfect for using up leftover veg and storecupboard rice.
- Dairy-free recipes
- Vegetarian recipes
- 24.3g (3.7g saturated)
- 38.2g (2.8g sugars)
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 sticks celery, chopped
- 2 green or yellow courgettes (or a mixture), diced
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tsp ground cumin seeds
- 400g cooked long-grain rice, cooled
- 100ml water or vegetable stock
- 100g green pumpkin seeds
- 10 fresh mint leaves, torn
- Heat the oil in a wide-bottomed pan. When hot, fry the garlic, onion, celery and courgettes with the salt and cumin for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until tender. Stir in the rice and water or stock. Simmer until the liquid has been absorbed.
- Stir in the pumpkin seeds and mint. Check the seasoning and serve.
You could make this a more substantial dish by garnishing it with hard-boiled egg wedges and grated cucumber.
Rate & review