Courgette, pea and feta fritters with beetroot salad
- May 2011
- 320g Marks & Spencer Classic Layered Vegetables with English Butter (or similar; see tip)
- 150g marinated feta cubes (we used Marks & Spencer Greek Feta with Extra Virgin Olive Oil and Oregano)
- 3 tbsp plain flour
- 2 medium free-range eggs, separated
- 100g frozen peas, defrosted
- Vegetable oil for shallow frying
- ½ x 130g pack Marks & Spencer Bistro Salad – shredded beetroot, lamb’s lettuce and red chard (or similar)
- 2-3 tbsp sweet chilli sauce
- 100ml half-fat crème fraîche
- Remove the butter from the layered vegetables and save for another recipe. Tip the vegetables into a large bowl, then crumble in half the feta. Add the flour, egg yolks and half the peas, season well and mix.
- Whisk the egg whites in a separate clean bowl until stiff, then fold into the veg mixture.
- Pour vegetable oil into a large frying pan to a depth of about 1cm over a medium heat. Once hot, add large spoonfuls of the vegetable mix – you should be able to fry about 3 at a time.
- Fry for 3-4 minutes on each side, remove with a slotted spoon, then set aside on kitchen paper. Repeat to make 8 fritters in total.
- Meanwhile, blanch the remaining peas in a pan of boiling water for 2 minutes. Divide the salad between 2 plates and scatter with the remaining feta cubes and peas. Serve 3-4 fritters per person.
- Swirl the sweet chilli sauce through the crème fraîche, then serve with the fritters and salad.
A pack of Waitrose Ready To Cook Julienne Vegetables with Herb Butter would also work well
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Corn fritters with crispy bacon, red pepper jam and soured cream
These sweetcorn fritters with crispy bacon, red pepper jam and...
Subscribe to our magazine
Food lovers, treat yourself this Christmas... Enjoy 12 months of magazines for £29.99 – just £2.50 an issue.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter