Courgette, pea and feta fritters with beetroot salad
- May 2011
- Serves 2
- Ready in 20 min
This speedy fritters recipe is equally delicious as it is satisfying.
- Vegetarian recipes
- 320g Marks & Spencer Classic Layered Vegetables with English Butter (or similar; see tip)
- 150g marinated feta cubes (we used Marks & Spencer Greek Feta with Extra Virgin Olive Oil and Oregano)
- 3 tbsp plain flour
- 2 medium free-range eggs, separated
- 100g frozen peas, defrosted
- Vegetable oil for shallow frying
- ½ x 130g pack Marks & Spencer Bistro Salad – shredded beetroot, lamb’s lettuce and red chard (or similar)
- 2-3 tbsp sweet chilli sauce
- 100ml half-fat crème fraîche
- Remove the butter from the layered vegetables and save for another recipe. Tip the vegetables into a large bowl, then crumble in half the feta. Add the flour, egg yolks and half the peas, season well and mix.
- Whisk the egg whites in a separate clean bowl until stiff, then fold into the veg mixture.
- Pour vegetable oil into a large frying pan to a depth of about 1cm over a medium heat. Once hot, add large spoonfuls of the vegetable mix – you should be able to fry about 3 at a time.
- Fry for 3-4 minutes on each side, remove with a slotted spoon, then set aside on kitchen paper. Repeat to make 8 fritters in total.
- Meanwhile, blanch the remaining peas in a pan of boiling water for 2 minutes. Divide the salad between 2 plates and scatter with the remaining feta cubes and peas. Serve 3-4 fritters per person.
- Swirl the sweet chilli sauce through the crème fraîche, then serve with the fritters and salad.
A pack of Waitrose Ready To Cook Julienne Vegetables with Herb Butter would also work well
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Corn fritters with crispy bacon, red pepper jam and soured cream
These sweetcorn fritters with crispy bacon, red pepper jam and soured cream are perfect for...