Pea, courgette and parmesan cheese soup
- July 2016
- Serves 6 as a starter
- Hands-on time 30 min
When summer provides a bounty of fresh vegetables, make this wonderfully bright green pea and courgette with parmesan cheese soup. You could serve as a light lunch or starter.
And if you’re lucky enough to have some courgette flowers, try these stuffed and deep-fried courgette flowers.
- 4g (0.9g saturated)
- 15.3g (2.8g sugars)
- 1½ tbsp olive oil
- 500g courgettes, halved lengthways and sliced into 0.5cm half moons
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- ½ tsp white pepper
- 1 litre fresh chicken stock
- 300g maris piper potatoes, cut into even chunks
- 200g frozen peas
- 50g fresh basil, roughly chopped
- 90g parmesan, finely grated, plus extra to scatter over
- Crusty bread to serve
For the garnish
- Crème fraîche
- 1 courgette, cut into strips/ribbons (we used a Y-shaped peeler), tossed in lemon juice to soften
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- Heat the 1½ tbsp oil in a large pan over a medium heat and fry the courgettes, garlic and white pepper for 5 minutes until softened. Pour in the stock, bring to a simmer, add the potatoes and cook, uncovered, for 15-20 minutes until soft.
- Add the peas and the basil, then simmer gently for 5 minutes. Add the parmesan and stir until melted. Allow to cool a little, then carefully transfer to a blender and whizz until smooth (or use a stick blender). Season to taste, then serve with a swirl of crème fraîche, courgette strips/ribbons, a drizzle of oil, extra parmesan and crusty bread.
If you like a bit of heat, scatter over some dried chilli flakes before serving.
Make 12 hours in advance, cool, then cover and chill without the garnish.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Courgette and farro summer soup
The courgette and farro soup recipe is easy and delicious, and makes the most of...