Crab and avocado tart
- December 2009
- Serves 8
- Takes 10 minutes to make, 15-18 minutes to cook, plus cooling
This this crab and avocado recipe is ideal for a Christmas lunch starter. Get ahead by baking the pastry squares and preparing the crab mixture in advance.
- 25.5g (9.1 saturated)
- 18.3g (0.9g sugar)
- 375g pack all-butter ready-rolled puff pastry
- 400g fresh white crabmeat (see our how-to video below)
- 1 heaped tbsp mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp crème fraîche
- Good pinch of cayenne pepper
- Juice of ½ lime
- Handful of fresh dill, chopped, plus extra fronds to garnish
- Knob of unsalted butter
- 24 raw king prawns, peeled
- 3 small ripe avocados, sliced
- Preheat the oven to 220°C/fan200°C/gas 7. Unroll the pastry on a baking sheet and prick all over with a fork. Place another heavy baking sheet on top and bake for 10-12 minutes. Remove from the oven and, using oven gloves, press down on the top baking sheet to help flatten the pastry. Return to the oven for 5-6 minutes more until golden brown. Slide onto a board and cool for 10 minutes before cutting into 8 squares. Set aside.
- Mix the crabmeat with the mayonnaise, crème fraîche, cayenne pepper, lime juice and chopped dill. Season well and set aside.
- Heat the butter in a frying pan over a high heat until foaming. Add the prawns and cook until they are pink and slightly golden, and cooked through. Set aside.
- Divide the sliced avocado among the 8 pastry squares, then top with a dollop of the crab mixture and 3 of the warm prawns. Garnish with dill and serve immediately.
Bake the pastry squares and whip up the crab mix in advance, ready to assemble for lunch.
Rate & review