Crab and watercress soufflé tarts
- June 2013
- 4 x 10cm shortcrust pastry cases
- 15g butter
- 15g plain flour
- 140ml whole milk
- 2 free-range eggs (separated)
- 150g white crabmeat (see our how-to video below)
- 3 tbsp brown crabmeat (see our how-to video below)
- Handful of finely chopped watercress
- Large pinch cayenne pepper
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan180°C/gs 6.
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan over a medium heat, then add the flour and cayenne pepper. Cook, stirring, for 2 minutes.
- Slowly whisk in the milk until it forms a thick paste, then add the egg yolks (whites reserved), crabmeat and the watercress.
- Remove from the heat and season well (it should taste a little too salty).
- Whisk the reserved egg whites in a clean bowl until soft peaks form.
- Gently fold 1 tbsp through the crab mixture to loosen it, then fold through the remaining whisked egg whites in 2 batches until combined.
- Divide the mixture among the pastry cases, then put them on a baking sheet and bake in the top third of the oven for 12-15 minutes until golden. Serve straightaway.
Rate & review