Crab and watercress soufflé tarts
- June 2013
- 4 x 10cm shortcrust pastry cases
- 15g butter
- 15g plain flour
- 140ml whole milk
- 2 free-range eggs (separated)
- 150g white crabmeat (see our how-to video below)
- 3 tbsp brown crabmeat (see our how-to video below)
- Handful of finely chopped watercress
- Large pinch cayenne pepper
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan180°C/gs 6.
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan over a medium heat, then add the flour and cayenne pepper. Cook, stirring, for 2 minutes.
- Slowly whisk in the milk until it forms a thick paste, then add the egg yolks (whites reserved), crabmeat and the watercress.
- Remove from the heat and season well (it should taste a little too salty).
- Whisk the reserved egg whites in a clean bowl until soft peaks form.
- Gently fold 1 tbsp through the crab mixture to loosen it, then fold through the remaining whisked egg whites in 2 batches until combined.
- Divide the mixture among the pastry cases, then put them on a baking sheet and bake in the top third of the oven for 12-15 minutes until golden. Serve straightaway.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Twice-baked crab and chive soufflés with quick-pickled samphire
These light crab and chive soufflés make an impressive starter and they can be made...
Christmas breakfast recipes
Crab on toasted spelt with soft boiled eggs and salsa verde
Creamy crab and a fresh herby salsa take egg on toast to a new level...
More food for thought...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...