Chilli crab and prawn tarts
- July 2008
- Serves 4
- Takes 15 min to make, 30 min to bake, plus standing
These individual seafood tarts are satisfying enough to serve as a main course or substantial snack.
- 45.7g (21.4g saturated)
- 47g (3.8g sugar)
- 375g pack ready-rolled shortcrust pastry, at room temperature
- 25g butter
- Bunch of spring onions, trimmed and finely sliced
- 1 large red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
- 250g raw, peeled medium prawns
- 170g canned or fresh white crab meat (see our how-to video below)
- 200ml single cream
- 3 large free-range egg yolks
- Bunch of fresh coriander, chopped
- Grated zest of 1 lime
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/fan160°C/gas 4. Cut the pastry into 4 squares and use to line 4 x 10cm round x 2cm deep fluted tart tins. Trim the excess pastry and prick the bases with a fork. Line each with baking paper and fill with baking beans or rice. Bake for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter in a frying pan and gently cook the spring onions and chilli for 2-3 minutes. Add the prawns and cook for 2 minutes, until pink. Remove from the heat and stir in the crab and some seasoning.
- Mix together the cream, egg yolks, coriander and lime zest in a jug.
- Remove the paper and beans from the pastry cases. Spoon in the crab mixture, then pour in the egg mixture. Bake for a further 15 minutes, until set but still with a slight wobble. Stand for 10 minutes before serving.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Dinner ideas for two
Crab and avocado tostadas with jalapeño salsa verde
Give crab the Mexican treatment with this quick and easy...
Subscribe to our magazine
Food lovers, treat yourself this Christmas... Enjoy 12 months of magazines for £29.99 – just £2.50 an issue.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter