Cranberry, orange and almond mince pies
- December 2012
- Makes 12-14 mince pies
- Takes 25 min to make, 15-17 min to cook , plus soaking
This mince pie recipe uses homemade mincemeat. Don’t be put off by the long list of ingredients – the recipe is simple to follow.
- 9.8g (5.2g saturated)
- 19.8g (6.8g sugars)
For 14 servings
For the cranberry and orange mincemeat
- 400g mix of sultanas and raisins
- 100g dried cranberries
- Zest and juice of 2 oranges
- Zest and juice of ½ unwaxed lemon
- 100g vegetable suet
- 100g golden caster sugar
- 100ml brandy
- 1 tsp ground mixed spice
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 large bramley apple (about 150g), peeled and cored
For the pastry
- 225g plain flour, pus extra to dust
- 125g unsalted butter, chilled and cut into cubes, plus extra for greasing
- 75g ground almonds
- 25g icing sugar
- 2 medium free-range egg yolks
For the almond crumble topping
- 25g plain flour, plus extra to dust
- 25g ground almonds
- 25g soft brown sugar
- 25g unsalted butter, cut into cubes
- 25g flaked almonds
- To make the mincemeat, mix the sultanas, raisins and cranberries in a large bowl. Add the orange and lemon zest and juice, vegetable suet, golden caster sugar, brandy and spices, then mix thoroughly. Coarsely grate the apple, then immediately stir into the dried fruit mixture. Cover the bowl with a tea towel, then leave to stand for a few hours (preferably overnight), stirring regularly.
- To make the pastry, put the 225g flour and 125g butter into the bowl of a food processor with a pinch of salt, then pulse until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Add the 75g ground almonds and the icing sugar, then pulse again. Beat the egg yolks with 10ml water, then add to the mixture. Mix until it forms a soft dough, taking care not to overmix. (If you don’t have a food processor, you can do this by hand in a large mixing bowl.) Tip the pastry onto a work surface, shape into a rough disc, then wrap in cling film, taking care not to handle it too much. Chill for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 190°C/fan 170°C/gas 5. Grease a 12-14 hole mince pie tin with a little butter. To make the crumble topping, put the 25g flour, ground almonds, soft brown sugar and 25g butter in a bowl. Work with your fingers until it resembles coarse breadcrumbs, then squish some of the mixture together to form lumps. Gently mix in the flaked almonds.
- Roll the chilled pastry out on a floured work surface to 3-4mm thick. Use a 7cm round fluted pastry cutter to cut out 12-14 discs. Put them carefully into the mince pie tins, then gently press down in the centre.
- Fill each pastry case with a heaped teaspoon of the mincemeat, then spoon over the crumble topping. Cook on the middle rack of the oven for 15-17 minutes until the pastry is lightly golden. If the crumble starts browning too quickly, move to a lower rack in the oven. Take the pies out of the oven, then leave to cool for a few minutes in the tin. Remove to a wire rack to cool completely, then store in an airtight container.
Rate & review