Creamy brussels sprout gratin with walnuts
- December 2013
- Serves 6-8 as a side
- Takes 10 min to make, 20-25 min to cook
This brussels sprout recipe, made with white wine and garlic, is guaranteed to convert even the most fervent sprout resisters into fans.
- Vegetarian recipes
- 19.3g (9.8g saturated)
- 4.7g (1.8g sugars)
For 8 servings
- 300g brussels sprouts
- 200ml double cream
- 40ml dry white wine
- 1 small garlic clove, chopped
- Grating of fresh nutmeg
- 30g gruyère, grated, or vegetarian alternative
- 30g shelled walnuts, crushed
- 2 tbsp breadcrumbs
- Extra-virgin olive oil for drizzling
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan180°C/ gas 6. Halve the sprouts and lay them, cut-side up, in a 20cm x 20cm shallow ovenproof dish. In a small bowl, mix the cream with the wine, garlic and nutmeg, season generously, then pour over the sprouts so just their tops are showing.
- Mix together the grated gruyère, walnuts and breadcrumbs, season, then sprinkle over the sprouts. Drizzle over a little olive oil, put the dish in the oven and cook for 20-25 minutes until golden and bubbling.
Water from the sprouts can leak out and mix with the cream in this recipe, creating a thin sauce. For a thicker gratin, blanch the sprouts in boiling water for 2 minutes, slice, squeeze out excess liquid, then dry on kitchen paper before baking.
Rate & review