Creamy brussels sprout gratin with walnuts
- December 2013
- Serves 6-8 as a side
- Takes 10 min to make, 20-25 min to cook
This brussels sprout recipe, made with white wine and garlic, is guaranteed to convert even the most fervent sprout resisters into fans.
Work more of this leafy green veg into your meals, with our Brussels sprouts recipes.
- Vegetarian recipes
- 19.3g (9.8g saturated)
- 4.7g (1.8g sugars)
For 8 servings
- 300g brussels sprouts
- 200ml double cream
- 40ml dry white wine
- 1 small garlic clove, chopped
- Grating of fresh nutmeg
- 30g gruyère, grated, or vegetarian alternative
- 30g shelled walnuts, crushed
- 2 tbsp breadcrumbs
- Extra-virgin olive oil for drizzling
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan180°C/ gas 6. Halve the sprouts and lay them, cut-side up, in a 20cm x 20cm shallow ovenproof dish. In a small bowl, mix the cream with the wine, garlic and nutmeg, season generously, then pour over the sprouts so just their tops are showing.
- Mix together the grated gruyère, walnuts and breadcrumbs, season, then sprinkle over the sprouts. Drizzle over a little olive oil, put the dish in the oven and cook for 20-25 minutes until golden and bubbling.
Water from the sprouts can leak out and mix with the cream in this recipe, creating a thin sauce. For a thicker gratin, blanch the sprouts in boiling water for 2 minutes, slice, squeeze out excess liquid, then dry on kitchen paper before baking.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
More food for thought...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...