Crunchy stuffed chicken breasts in lemon butter
- October 2009
- Serves 4
- Takes 20 minutes to make, 30 minutes to cook, plus chilling
This crunchy chicken recipe is simple enough for a midweek meal, but impressive enough to serve at a dinner party.
- 27.3g (11.4g saturated)
- 41g (6.2g sugar)
- 4 skinless free-range chicken breasts
- 125g ball mozzarella, sliced
- 100g semi-dried tomatoes, chopped
- Small handful fresh basil leaves
- 100g fresh brown or white breadcrumbs
- 2 tbsp grated Parmesan
- Grated zest of 1 lemon
- 75g plain flour, seasoned
- 2 medium free-range eggs, beaten
- 2 tbsp olive oil
For the green beans
- 400g fine green beans, topped
- 25g butter
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Make a small incision in the side of each chicken breast and stuff each with a quarter of the mozzarella (about 1 or 2 slices), a quarter of the chopped tomatoes (about 1 tbsp) and 2 or 3 leaves of the basil, then season. Mix together the breadcrumbs, grated parmesan and lemon zest. Season well and spread out over a shallow tray.
- Carefully roll the stuffed chicken breasts in the seasoned flour, shake off the excess flour, then dip the breasts in the beaten egg and finally roll in the tray of crumbs. Put on a plate, cover and chill for 20 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 180°c/fan160°c/gas 4. Heat the oil in a frying pan over a low heat and fry the chicken breasts for 3-4 minutes each side until just golden brown. Transfer to a baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes until cooked through.
- Meanwhile, cook the beans in a pan of boiling salted water for 4-5 minutes until just tender, and drain. Add the butter, lemon juice, salt and pepper and stir until glazed.
- To serve, divide the beans and chicken among plates, and serve with baked potatoes, if you like.
You can vary this chicken recipe by stuffing the breasts with soft goat’s cheese, Boursin or Camembert instead of mozzarella, and use any soft herbs available such as tarragon, parsley or sorrel.
To freeze this dish, prepare up to the end of step 2. Wrap in cling film and store in a plastic container in the freezer for up to 3 months. Bake from frozen on a hot baking sheet and add 15 minutes to the cooking time, baking until the chicken is piping hot and cooked through.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Goat's cheese recipes
Goat’s cheese-stuffed chicken breasts with roasted beetroot
We’ve made these stuffed chicken breasts healthier by using half...
Chicken breast recipes
Stuffed chicken breasts with stir-fried kale and hazelnuts
Chicken breasts are stuffed with garlic, tarragon and mascarpone before...
Subscribe to our magazine
Food lovers, treat yourself this Christmas... Enjoy 12 months of magazines for £29.99 – just £2.50 an issue.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter