Dishoom’s masala chai
- September 2019
- 2 tbsp Assam or Darjeeling tea
- 12 slices fresh ginger
- 1½ tsp black peppercorns
- 12 cardamom pods
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 5 cloves
- 50 sugar
- 500ml whole milk
- Put 2 tbsp Assam or Darjeeling tea, 12 slices of ginger, 1½ tsp black peppercorns, 12 cardamom pods, 2 cinnamon sticks and 5 cloves into a saucepan. Pour on 1 litre boiling and bring to the boil. Lower the heat and simmer until fragrant – about 10 minutes.
- Add 50g sugar and 500ml whole milk, turn up the heat and bring to the boil.
- Cook for 10 minutes, stirring, then taste – boil a little more for a stronger flavour.
- Strain, discard the solids, then serve.
This recipe has been taken from Dishoom’s new cookery book, Dishoom: From Bombay with Love. Order yourself a copy here.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Chai kulfi affogato
When Italian-style affogato meets the chai-spiced ice cream of Indian kulfi the results are sweet...
More food for thought...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...