Dishoom’s masala chai
- September 2019
- 2 tbsp Assam or Darjeeling tea
- 12 slices fresh ginger
- 1½ tsp black peppercorns
- 12 cardamom pods
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 5 cloves
- 50 sugar
- 500ml whole milk
- Put 2 tbsp Assam or Darjeeling tea, 12 slices of ginger, 1½ tsp black peppercorns, 12 cardamom pods, 2 cinnamon sticks and 5 cloves into a saucepan. Pour on 1 litre boiling and bring to the boil. Lower the heat and simmer until fragrant – about 10 minutes.
- Add 50g sugar and 500ml whole milk, turn up the heat and bring to the boil.
- Cook for 10 minutes, stirring, then taste – boil a little more for a stronger flavour.
- Strain, discard the solids, then serve.
This recipe has been taken from Dishoom’s new cookery book, Dishoom: From Bombay with Love. Order yourself a copy here.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Celebration cake recipes
Poached pear cake with chai-spiced buttercream and salted caramel drizzle
Edd Kimber’s gorgeous cake recipe is a combination of spicy...
Subscribe to our magazine
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter