Easy green pearl barley salad with roast parsnips and goat’s cheese
- January 2016
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 30 min, oven time 25-30 min
A vegetarian salad recipe, made with pearl barley, parsnips and goats cheese, is great for the colder months.
- Vegetarian recipes
- 17.9g fat (6.2g saturated)
- 20.4 protein
- 96.4g carbs (8.4g sugars)
- 7.9g fibre
- 0.4g salt
- 400g pearl barley
- 300g frozen peas, defrosted
- 275g parsnips, chopped lengthways into quarters
- 3-4 tbsp olive oil
- 140g rocket
- 1 garlic clove
- Small bunch fresh mint, leaves picked
- Finely grated zest and juice 2 lemons
- 100g soft rindless goat’s cheese, crumbled
- Heat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas 6. Boil a kettle of water and put the pearl barley in a large lidded saucepan. Pour the water over the barley, put the lid on, then boil over a high heat for 30 minutes or until tender but still with bite (add more hot water if it looks like boiling dry). For the last
5 minutes, add half the peas, simmer until tender, then drain and refresh under cold water. The barley should still be warm.
- Meanwhile, put the parsnips into a large roasting tray and toss them in 1-2 tbsp oil. Season with salt and pepper, then roast in the oven for
25-30 minutes until crisp.
- While the parsnips are cooking, put the remaining peas, half the rocket, the garlic, most of the mint leaves, the zest and juice of 1 lemon, a good pinch of salt and 2 tbsp oil in a blender or food processor. Whizz to a coarse mix, add 2 tbsp water and whizz again.
- Stir the sauce through the warm barley and peas. Crumble in the goat’s cheese, then mix in the rest of the rocket, lemon zest and juice. Season, then serve with the roast parsnips.
If you like spicy food, serve with a sprinkling of chilli flakes.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Little gems with hazelnuts and red wine vinegar
Griddling lettuce might seem a little odd, but it makes it soft with a crisp,...