- January 2012
- Makes 20
- Takes 30 minutes to make, 15 minutes to cook, plus standing and cooling
These easy macaroons make great gifts, are ideal to hand round as sweet canapés or petits fours, and really look the part at afternoon tea.
Or, these multi-coloured macaroons look very pretty piled on a cake stand for afternoon tea.
- 10g (4.4g saturated)
- 16.7g (16.6g sugars)
- 175g icing sugar
- 125g ground almonds
- 3 large free-range egg whites
- 75g caster sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
For the filling
- 150g butter, softened
- 80g icing sugar
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
You will also need
- A piping bag with a 1cm nozzle
- Preheat the oven to 160°C/fan140°C/gas 3 and line 2 baking sheets with baking paper. Whizz the icing sugar and almonds briefly in a food processor until well combined, then sift into a bowl.
- Whisk the egg whites with a pinch of salt until they form soft peaks, then gradually whisk in the caster sugar until thick and glossy. Add the vanilla extract.
- Fold half the almond mixture into the meringue and mix well. Add the remaining half, then use a spatula to cut and fold the mixture until it’s smooth, shiny and has a ribbon-like consistency as it falls from the spatula. Spoon into the piping bag.
- Carefully pipe 3cm rounds of meringue onto the baking sheets (it will spread a little). Leave at room temperature for 10-15 minutes to dry a little – you should be able to touch them lightly without any mixture sticking to your finger. Bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool. Meanwhile make the filling. Beat the butter until light and fluffy, then beat in the icing sugar and cocoa powder. Spread thinly over the flat sides of half the macaroons, then sandwich together with the other halves.
This recipe makes vanilla macaroons. To make chocolate ones, replace 2 tbsp of the 175g icing sugar with 2 tbsp cocoa powder and omit the vanilla extract. Make the filling with 3-4 tbsp Baileys instead of cocoa powder.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...