Easy oven-baked bacon, pea and watercress risotto
- May 2016
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 20 min, oven time 50 min
Give your arm a rest; skip the endless stirring and bake your risotto instead. Bacon lardons give this light recipe a natural saltiness.
- 18.9g (8.7g saturated)
- 61.5g (3.4g sugars),
- 200g unsmoked British free-range bacon lardons
- 30g butter
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 270g arborio rice
- 200ml dry white wine
- 1 litre fresh chicken stock
- 120g frozen peas
- 50g watercress
- 20g parmesan, grated
- Handful fresh basil, chopped
To serve: Lemon wedges
- Heat the oven to 170°C/ 150°C fan/gas 3½. In a large non-stick frying pan, fry the lardons over a medium heat until golden. Using a slotted spoon, remove them to a plate.
- Melt the butter in the same pan over a medium heat, add the onion and fry until transparent, then add the rice, stirring to coat in the butter. Add the wine and cook for 2-3 minutes more. Finally, add the chicken stock and bring to a gentle simmer.
- Pour the risotto mixture into a warmed 1.5 litre casserole, stir in the fried lardons, then bake uncovered for 45 minutes. Stir in the peas, watercress and parmesan, then cook for 5 minutes. Scatter with basil and serve with lemon wedges.
Try frying leeks instead of onions to give a more subtle allium flavour, and stir in spinach instead of watercress in step 3.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...