Fennel, pea and bacon risotto
- July 2017
- Serves 4 (generously)
- Hands-on time 40 min
Everyone needs a great risotto recipe in their weeknight dinner repertoire. We’ve added smoked bacon, fennel and peas to this easy Italian dish.
Or indulge in our seriously gooey goat’s cheese risotto – it makes an excellent dinner party main.
- Gluten-free recipes
- 21.3g (7.2g saturated)
- 70.4g (4.4g sugars)
- Oil for frying
- 200g smoked bacon lardons
- 1 fennel bulb, finely sliced
- 2 leeks, finely sliced
- 300g arborio rice
- 150ml dry white wine
- 1.2 litres hot chicken stock
- 200g fresh or frozen peas
- Juice 1 lemon
- 50g parmesan, grated
- Chopped fresh mint (optional)
- Heat the oil in a large deep frying pan and add the bacon lardons. Fry for 2-3 minutes on a high heat until starting to colour. Add the fennel and leeks and fry for 5-8 minutes more until they’re starting to soften.
- Stir in the rice and cook for 2-3 minutes until it turns translucent. Pour in the wine and bubble for 1-2 minutes until it has nearly all evaporated. Start adding the chicken stock, a little at a time, allowing each addition to be absorbed into the rice before adding more stock.
- Keep cooking and stirring the risotto, adding stock as needed. Once all the stock has been added, simmer until the rice is tender (about 30 minutes).
- When the rice is almost done, stir in the peas and lemon juice, then simmer for a few minutes to heat up/cook the peas. Stir in most of the parmesan.
- Serve the risotto in warmed bowls, scattered with a handful of chopped mint (if you like) and the remaining parmesan.
Swap the bacon for sun-dried tomatoes and use vegetable stock and a vegetarian grating cheese.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Chicken, caraway and beetroot risotto
Risotto is a guaranteed midweek favourite. This one combines earth beetroot with chicken for a...
More food for thought...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...